I’m such a sucker for a fall day. The crisp mornings, the leaves turning, the warm colors all around the house, and the comfort foods filling the house with my favorite smells. I love every part of it. And just knowing that the calendar now agrees with my whole mental shift to fall, I’m in an amazing state of mind. Fall is here and I’m thrilled!
So to celebrate, let’s break open the canned pumpkin and bake an easy pumpkin roll that will surely make your home fill with all the nutmeg, cinnamon, and clove smells that screams, “Happy First Day of Fall!”
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup salted butter, melted
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/4 cup powdered sugar, a few tablespoons more for sprinkling
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cover a 10×15" cookie sheet with parchment paper and spray with nonstick cooking spray. (If you don't have that size, you can adapt by only allowing your pumpkin bread to spread to roughly that dimension prior to baking.)
- Beat eggs in a large mixing bowl. Add sugar, pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon and salt. Combine well.
- Add in flour and baking soda. Mix until just combined.
- Pour into prepared baking sheet. Tap edges of sheet to even batter. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- While pumpkin bread is baking, lay out a clean cotton towel on your counter. Sprinkle about 3 tablespoons of powdered sugar over the towel.
- After the pumpkin bread is done cooking, flip onto the cotton towel while it is still warm. Remove the parchment paper. Beginning on the narrow end, roll the bread into the cotton towel and place in fridge until cooled completely.
- Beat cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla in a mixing bowl until smooth.
- When bread is completely cooled, carefully unroll. Spread cream cheese mixture on top. Carefully roll pumpkin bread without the towel, starting at the same narrow end as before. Wrap in foil and place in fridge until ready to serve.
- Use a sharp knife to cut into slices. Sprinkle a little additional powdered sugar on top before serving!