We’ve been getting so excited for Halloween around our house! It’s been a steady stream of Hocus Pocus, Room on a Broom, pumpkin picking, and costume deciding. Our house has never looked spookier and we are just loving the excitement of this season!
With only weeks away, I’ve started making some Halloween treats with the kids to make our desserts just a bit more festive and fun to match all of our excitement. This week, we created some Brownie Bottom Halloween cupcakes using just your basic box ingredients, and they were a HIT!
Snag a cake mix, a brownie mix, icing, and sprinkles, and you’ve got yourself some cute, delicious Halloween cupcakes that your family will love!
Halloween Brownie Cupcakes
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1 box brownie mix
- 1 orange food coloring
- 1 container buttercream frosting
- Halloween sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350° and prepare cupcake pan by placing cupcake liners in each spot.
- Prepare brownie mix according to package directions in a mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, prepare cake mix according to package. Add 5-6 drops of orange food coloring and blend until color is fully incorporated. Add more to reach desired color, if necessary.
- Spoon brownie mix into the base of each cupcake liner until it reaches about 1/4 of the way up. You don't want much more as it will alter the baking time.
- Scoop cake mix on top the of the brownie mix (being careful to just scoop it gently on top, without mixing it much) until cupcake liners are about 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean when poked into cake and brownie (brownie will take slightly longer to cook).
- Let cool completely before icing with your buttercream frosting and adding your sprinkles on top. Enjoy these cute brownie cupcakes all Halloween season long!
- You can really choose your favorites for this recipe. Want to try a more milk chocolate brownie mix or one with fudge? Go for it! Do you like a gluten free brand? Use it! Having it be made with mostly boxed mixes allows you so much freedom for your favorites.
- Try your best not to jostle the cupcake pan as you are taking it in and out of the oven.
- When taking off your cupcake liners, be careful as you are removing them from your brownie bases. They came off easily for me, but I imagine they can stick slightly if you use cheaper liners or pull them off too quickly.
Leave a Reply